J O H N -
B U N Y A N' s
By J O H N.B U N Y A N.
Published in Offor's 1861 edition of "Bunyan's Works."
OF THE LORD'S DAY, SERMONS, AND WEEK DAYS.
- Have a special care to sanctify the Lord's day; for as thou keepest
it, so it will be with thee all the week long.
- Make the Lord s day the market for thy soul; let the whole day
be spent in prayer, repetitions, or meditations; lay aside the affairs of the other
part of the week; let thy sermon thou hast heard be converted into prayer. Shall
God allow thee six days, and wilt thou not afford him one?
- In the church be careful to serve God, for thou art in his eyes,
and not in man's.
- Thou mayest hear sermons often, and do well in practising what
thou hearest; but thou must not expect to be told thee in a pulpit all that thou
oughtest to do, but be studious in searching the scriptures, and reading good books.
What thou hearest may be forgotten, but what thou readest may better be retained.
- Forsake not the public worship of God, lest God forsake thee,
not only in public, but in private.
- In the week days, when thou risest in the morning, consider--1.
Thou must die. 2. Thou mayest die that minute. 3. What will become of thy soul. Pray
often. At night consider--1. What sins thou hast committed. 2. How often thou hast
prayed. 3. What hath thy mind been bent upon. 4. What hath been thy dealing. 5. What
thy conversation. 6. If thou callest to mind the errors of the day, sleep not without
a confession to God, and a hope of pardon. Thus every morning and evening make up
thy accounts with Almighty God, and thy reckoning will be the less at last.
- What folly can be greater than to labour for the meat that perisheth,
and neglect the food of eternal life?
- God or the world must be neglected at parting time, for then is
the time of trial.
- To seek yourself in this world is to be lost; and to be humble
is to be exalted.
- The epicure that delighteth in the dainties of this world, little
thinketh that those very creatures will one day witness against him.
- OF SIN.
- OF AFFLICTION.
- OF REPENTANCE AND COMING TO CHRIST.
- OF PRAYER.
- OF THE LORD'S DAY, SERMONS, AND WEEK DAYS.
- OF SUFFERING.
- OF THE LOVE OF THE WORLD.
- OF DEATH AND JUDGMENT.
- OF THE JOYS OF HEAVEN.
- OF THE TORMENTS OF HELL.